Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fremantle markets and greedy landlords - its not personal - its just business!

This is not my usual post but what the Heh, I have a blog, I might as well use it for other ponderings. Below is a letter published by The Fremantle Herald this week. I love Fremantle Markets and the people who work there, so I am putting my name behind their plight with the greedy landlords. I am also wondering why Freo Council is, so far, silent on this; an opportunity to save or protect a tourist icon. Oh, could it be that $'s...

Global Greed - Local Greed

What would Fremantle be without the Markets? Millions of tourists are attracted to Freo with the markets being one of the main drawcards. Like the countless locals, they love the casual atmosphere, bargain prices and the unique and eclectic shopping. I was in Fremantle last Sunday and went to the markets like I usually do (for more than 20 years) to pick up my fruit and veg and some gifts for Christmas. It was packed with people but I heard some disturbing news which upset me. A stallholder who I have befriended over the years was distraught with a letter he had received. It told him that his rent was going up substantially and that he only had a week to decide what he wanted to do. If he couldn’t afford to pay then he had to vacate his shop before Christmas. This price rise will obviously make it impossible for most of the stall holders to continue. Those who might stay on will be forced to index price rises into the cost of products thereby forcing them to compete with the multi nationals. Is that what we want in Freo? Just another big shopping mall!

As we watch the world collapsing around us with predictions of recession and depression, world leaders and the common man all agree that GREED is the underlying cause. Trillions of bail out dollars might be the answer for the top end of town, but who is looking after the honest Aussie battlers?

I feel for my friend and his dilemma and ask myself why is this happening especially now. There won’t be much Christmas cheer at the Markets this year.

Copy of Editors note:
Yes Sonya, we've been wondering who'd bail the little guys out especially when the dunderheads who have run the finance show into the ground worldwide are being assisted by massive government handouts from the battlers taxation! Wierd world huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home