Saturday, April 04, 2009

Plea to Mayor Tagliaferri for compensation

I have been at the markets 22 years and my stall is one of the permanent outside stalls, which will be replaced by the new food section.

To achieve this, the Murdoch’s will either have to relocate these and many casual stalls inside the main market hall or terminate our long-standing licence agreements,………… which is contrary to your commitment to all stallholders?

The question then is… not only where do these stalls go, but, how to do this so people’s businesses are not disadvantaged by the redevelopment.

Outside stalls are generally larger in size and have been selected for that reason. In our case we waited 14 years to find a suitable space.

Our business Fremantle Markets Bonsai is highly regarded, successful and contributes significantly to the uniqueness of the markets bringing in many regular customers.
Our business will not be viable if forced into an unsuitable location.

Juggling people and their family’s lives around like this is unprofessional. We are not playing Monopoly here. This is people’s livelihoods which should be respected.

Where is the planning? What has the Working Group been doing to ensure these changes have minimal impact, because at the moment, it seems, nobody including management really knows what’s going on or if they do they are not telling anyone?
Like I said It’s all very unprofessional.

My business is important too. I need to plan for the future, I need to know how long my life will be on hold and what the consequences will be. I need to know that the large amount of money I paid for my shop will not be lost. When I asked Jaimie about this his reply was …….

“That is not his concern” but …..it certainly is mine.

I can’t afford to just lose my business. I’ve worked hard for 22 yrs to build my business and clientele and it shouldn’t just be taken from me because of this. That’s criminal!
Stallholders disadvantaged through the fresh food redevelopment should not become a legacy of this new lease.


Mayor Tagliaferri… If the City of Fremantle and the Murdoch’s wish to continue to redevelop the Markets then to do this in an orderly, timely and fair way, stallholders who
· Have their business reduced in size or
· Cannot be relocated to a stall of comparable location and size
should have the option of compensation.


Currently this has not been discussed or offered as a solution.
The new food section will increase the Murdoch’s rent base, which would offset costs involved with compensation.

Large sums will be invested into capital works and if these acquisitions are treated as part of the overall redevelopment costs, they could be written off over the 18 year lease.
This would enable planning to proceed unaffected by the many issues associated with relocation for stallholders and management.

These stallholders, unlike others, are currently not permitted to sell their business putting their life on hold.

If they wanted to or had to leave, then they are forced to walk away from their shops losing their business and customers, or wait an indefinite period of time until the redevelopment is planned and approved …..that is …IF ..they are relocated and not evicted.

My question is: Will the Working Group consider my suggestion of compensation so that stallholders are not disadvantaged and planning on the food section can proceed unrestrained by relocation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home